The 5th African Union - European Union Summit brought together EU and African leaders to define the future direction for cooperation between the two continents. It took place on 29-30 November 2017 in Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire, under the overarching theme of "Investing in Youth for a sustainable future".
Leaders adopted a Joint declaration setting out their commitment to invest in youth for accelerated inclusive growth and sustainable development.
They agreed on four common strategic priorities for the period leading up to the next Summit:
- Investing in people – education, science, technology and skills development
- Strengthening Resilience, Peace, Security and Governance
- Migration and mobility
- Mobilising Investments for African structural and sustainable transformation
Leaders also adopted a joint statement on the migrant situation in Libya, condemning the inhuman treatment of migrants and refugees by criminal groups.
The Summit was preceded by a number of important preparatory events, including civil society, local authorities, economic and social actors, as well as European and Pan-African Parliaments. Young leaders from Africa and Europe gathered at the Youth Summit, and their work intensified in the context of the AU-EU Youth Plugin-Initiative. The 6th EU-Africa Business Forum brought together business leaders, investors, innovative start-ups, and young and female entrepreneurs. Find out more about these side events and their declarations:
- 3rd Africa-EU Civil Society Forum 2017 (11-12 July 2017)
- 4th Africa-Europe Youth Summit 2017 (9-11 October 2017) and 1st AU-EU Youth Plug-In Initiative (27 October- 29 November 2017)
- 4th Meeting of EU-Africa Economic and Social Stakeholders and Councils 2017 (16-17 November 2017)
- 6th EU-Africa Business Forum 2017 (27 November 2017)
- 1st Africa – Europe Local and Regional Government Forum 2017 (27 November 2017)
- 4th AU-EU Parliamentary Summit 2017 (27-28 November 2017)
For more information