The Summits of European Union and African Union Heads of States and Governments take place traditionally every three years and alternate between Africa and Europe. These Summits take stock of the progress being made in implementing commitments and provide political guidance for further work.
The 5th African Union-European Union Summit was held on 29-30 November 2017 in Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire – 10 years after the adoption of the Joint Africa-EU Strategy. Under the central theme "Investing in youth for a sustainable future", African and European Heads of State and Government gathered together with the President of the European Council, the President of the European Commission, the President of the African Union and the Chairperson of the African Union Commission.
Together, they adopted a joint declaration outlining common priorities for the future of the Africa-EU partnership:
- Investing in people – education, science, technology and skills development
- Strengthening Resilience, Peace, Security and Governance
- Migration and mobility
- Mobilising Investments for African structural and sustainable transformation
AU and EU leaders also adopted a joint statement on the migrant situation in Libya condemning the inhuman treatment of migrants and refugees by criminal groups.
The Summit was preceded by a number of important preparatory events, including civil society, local authorities, economic and social actors, as well as European and Pan-African Parliaments. Young leaders from Africa and Europe gathered at the Youth Summit, and their work intensified in the context of the AU-EU Youth Plugin-Initiative. The 6th EU-Africa Business Forum brought together business leaders, investors, innovative start-ups, and young and female entrepreneurs. Find out more about these side events and their declarations:
- 3rd Africa-EU Civil Society Forum 2017 (11-12 July 2017)
- 4th Africa-Europe Youth Summit 2017 (9-11 October 2017) and 1st AU-EU Youth Plug-In Initiative (27 October- 29 November 2017)
- 4th Meeting of EU-Africa Economic and Social Stakeholders and Councils 2017 (16-17 November 2017)
- 6th EU-Africa Business Forum 2017 (27 November 2017)
- 1st Africa – Europe Local and Regional Government Forum 2017 (27 November 2017)
- 4th AU-EU Parliamentary Summit 2017 (27-28 November 2017)
For more information, visit the Official website of the 5th AU-EU Summit.
Video and image galleries are available here:
- 5th AU – EU Summit: Photo Gallery
- 5th AU – EU Summit: Video Gallery
- Opening session of the 5th AU-EU Summit
- Press conference of the 5th AU-EU Summit
- Photos and videos of the 5th AU-EU Summit
- 5th AU-EU Summit - Videos
- "5th AU-EU Summit: an opportunity to reset relations" - International Crisis Group (Video)