Valletta Summit on migration
An international summit on migration between the EU, and the African and other key countries concerned will be held in Valletta (Malta), on 11-12 November 2015, at the Mediterranean Conference Centre.
The Summit will build on existing cooperation processes between Europe and Africa, particularly the Rabat and Khartoum processes on migration, and the EU-Africa Dialogue on Migration and Mobility.
Discussions will focus on five specific areas:
- addressing the root causes by working to help create peace, stability and economic development
- improving work on promoting and organising legal migration channels
- enhancing the protection of migrants and asylum seekers, particularly vulnerable groups
- tackling more effectively the exploitation and trafficking of migrants
- working more closely to improve cooperation on return and readmission
EU member states, countries members of the Rabat and Khartoum processes, observers to the Rabat process, representatives of the African Union commission and the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) commission, the United Nations (UN) and the International Office on Migration (IOM) have been invited to join the summit.
For more information: